Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mission Double-Berryman


I've ridden 50+ miles on the mountain bike many times. I've successfully ridden the 24-mile Berryman trail many times. But never have I had enough time, courage, chamois butter or will to ride two Berryman loops back-to-back.


But on this day in June I chose to make it my mission. Dave Hagan accompanied me on the trip. However, he was going to have to return to STL after lap 1 for a family obligation.



After unsuccessfully being able to complete even one lap a couple weeks prior when my rear derailleur snapped, I was really looking forward to some revenge!


(The carbon cage and bottom pulley were shattered)

Lap 1 with Dave went great. There are quite a few trees down on the trail between Brazil Creek and Berryman, but we weren't out to break any speed records so it was ok. The re-routes after Berryman were in great shape. I couldn't believe how wide some of the sections are.

Dave headed home while I started lap 2. Everything was going well until just after Berryman when I heard that awful 'pssssss!' sound. Yep, slit my front tire and it was a big tear. I had a boot, but the tear was pretty big.


I had a choice to make. Double back less than 1 mile to the road and ride that back - just like I did a couple weeks prior or risk continuing on the trail, away from the road, hoping the boot would hold. I chose to bail to the road and take the 5-mile death march back on the road.



My double-Berryman would have to wait for another day. I know Dwayne does these before breakfast on most days, but for some reason they elude me!

1 comment:

  1. Believe it! I have never done a double Berryman either, not sure if I would...lol..Once is enough to hurt. So much trail so little time. ;)

    ReplyDelete